Role and Responsibilities
The prime roles of a Head of Department are to provide the academic leadership and management to facilitate a collegial, productive and safe working environment in the department, the faculty and the Institute.
The role involves the following general responsibilities:
- The guidance and facilitation of the research, and undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, and continuing education and outreach activities of the Department;
- The governance of the Department and the establishment and development of its strategic direction
- The guidance and development of staff and the management of personnel-related issues in the Department
- overseeing and guiding the academic development of students
- Ensuring fair and equitable treatment of all staff and students and establishment of mechanisms to ensure that the University's Cultural Diversity policy is implemented.
- The pursuit of excellence and innovation in teaching and learning responsiveness.
- The implementation of quality assurance processes particularly in relation to teaching, research and the supervision of students;
- The allocation of duties to staff to ensure the effective and efficient performance of the Department's teaching, research and service functions